STARRING - Adam Baldwin (Superman/Clark Kent), Anne Heche (Lois Lane), James Marsters (Lex Luthor), Ray Wise (Perry White), Swoosie Kurtz (Martha Kent), Adam Wylie (Jimmy Olsen)
Year - 2007
Score - 2.5 Howls Outta 4
Adapted from "The Death of Superman" storyline that rocked the comic world back in the early 1990s, the first cartoon to go straight to DVD by DC comics pretty much tells the tale of Superman fighting off the newly awakened Doomsday machine, eventually dying in battle after defeating the monster. Eventually, Superman returns - but he has an edge and is willing to kill people to protect Metropolis. Did death change Superman? Or is this Superman not who he claims to be?
I thought this PG-13 cartoon was pretty good. For 75 minutes, it told the adaptation of the comics well and I was entertained. The animation was refreshing after all the CGI stuff Pixar and Dreamworks puts out every 3 months. The 2 main fight scenes are very well handled and are actually exciting to watch. Plus you get to see blood and implied sex! Whoohoo!
Most of the voice acting was good to great [especially FIREFLY's and CHUCK's Adam Baldwin and BUFFY's and ANGEL's James Marsters], except for Anne Heche, whose voice annoys me for some reason and I didn't really believe Lois Lane could ever sound like that. Also, I wanted to see the actual story from the comics with the 4 men [Eradicator, Cyborg, Superboy, and Steel] claiming to be Superman. All we get here is a ill-judged clone. Maybe the studio was afraid to hire Shaq again for Steel. If so, then I totally understand.
THINGS I'VE LEARNED WHILE SUFFERING FROM THE EFFECTS OF KRYPTONITE
1. Don't go drilling in caves. You may find a dangerous spacecraft that'll cost you life. Or give you crabs.
2. Lois Lane is angry that Superman won't tell her his human name. It's called a one night stand, sweetheart. You should be thanking God that your head didn't explode!
3. Robots are funny. I want a robot sidekick to make me laugh. And to do my laundry.
4. Doomsday destroyed most of the military against him. Doomsday is the real Army of One.
5. Jimmy Olsen has never seen Superman take such a pounding like he did from Doomsday. Gee Jimmy, what kind of photographs have you been taking of Superman? Hmmm...
6. Lois got splattered with Superman's blood on her face. She's usually used to that sort of thing, but the substance is usually white instead of red.
7. Don't ever share a secret with Lex Luthor. It's a pretty good shot you won't be sharing anymore with anybody. Literally.
8. Lex Luthor beat the crap out of "Superman" for leaving him. He even asked "Superman" who his daddy was. That explains number 5!
9. Lois Lane suckered Lex into a kiss to knock him out after jabbing him with a syringe. If she wanted Lex to take an HIV test, she could have just asked! Sheesh...
10. "Superman" destroyed all the other Superman clones. He must have read Spider-Man comics from the mid-to-late 90s, realizing the clone idea was gonna do more harm than good.
FINAL HOWL: A buy for any Superman fan. A rental for everyone else.